Source: Eat Smart Cookbook, UT Extension
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1. Combine all the ingredients except the milk in a large pot; bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- 2. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add milk and heat thoroughly.
- 4. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories from Fat: 20
- Total Fat: 2 g
- Sodium: 260 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
Fat-free or skim milk is just as nutritious as whole milk. If fat-free milk doesn’t appeal to your family, try 1 percent.
Always wash potatoes before cutting, if you want to eat them without peeling, just wash them thoroughly with a vegetable brush before cutting. Many nutrients, including fiber, are in the peeling of vegetables.