Source: The Right Bite Cookbook, UT Extension
Makes: 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 4 cups unsweetened peach slices
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 1 packet saccharin or acesulfame-K (Sweet One®)
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
- 5-6 tablespoons skim milk
- 1. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of apple juice. Mix well.
- 2. Combine peaches, ½ cup apple juice and nutmeg in sauce pan. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer ten minutes.
- 3. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir constantly until thickened.
- 4. Remove from heat and cool.
- 5. Spray baking pan with vegetable spray and pour peach mixture into pan.
- 1. Combine flours, baking powder, and sugar or sugar substitute.
- 2. Cut in margarine until dough resembles coarse meal.
- 3. Shape into ball.
- 4. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into a rectangle.
- 5. Place over peaches, cut a few slits over surface of dough to allow steam to escape.
- 6. Bake cobbler at 425 degrees for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for twenty-five minutes.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 158
- Total Fat: 2 g
- Sodium: 107 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
Use fruit juice to sweeten with less sugar.
Add whole-wheat flour to boost the fiber of this dessert.