LIGHT PUMPKIN PIE
Source: The Right Bite Cookbook, UT Extension
Makes: 10 Servings
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute or 4 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 12 packets aspartame (Equal®)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 12 ounces of evaporated skim milk
- 10-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2. Combine first 8 ingredients beginning with pumpkin and ending with evaporated milk.
- 3. Pour into pie shell.
- 4. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 5. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking for another 45 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- 6. Cool.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/10th of a pie)
- Calories: 163
- Total Fat: 7 g
- Sodium: 198 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Dietary Fiber:
- Protein: 6 g
Evaporated skim milk is an excellent substitute for regular evaporated milk and also can easily substitute for cream in many recipes.
The pie crust is a high-fat food and contains more saturated and trans-fatty acids that could raise blood cholesterol levels, but since it is only a single crust pie and the slice is small, it is ok occasionally.