Source: Eat Smart Cookbook, UT Extension
Makes: 6 Servings
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) can sliced beets
- 1 ½ cups beet liquid (beet liquid from can plus water to equal 1 ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
- 2. Stir in beet liquid, vinegar and butter.
- 3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened; add beets and heat.
- 4. Let stand for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 120
- Calories from Fat: 25
- Total Fat: 3 g
- Sodium: 430 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
Beets are from the root of the beet plant. They are naturally low in calories, fat and sodium.
Try reducing the amount of salt you add in dishes with vinegar and sugar. Their flavors make added salt unnecessary for good taste.