CHICKEN AND RICE WITH VEGETABLES
Source: The Right Bite Cookbook, UT Extension
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound of chicken breast meat, cut into 1/3 inch cross-grain slices
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 medium (1 pound) zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons snipped, fresh parsley that has been washed in a solution of ½ tablespoon chlorine bleach and ½ gallon of water
- 1. Coat the bottom of an electric or large, heavy bottomed skillet with vegetable oil.
- 2. Add the onion, garlic and chicken to the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked lightly on all sides.
- 3. Add bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, rice, chicken broth and salt. Bring the broth to a boil, then adjust heat to maintain a slow simmer. Simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serving Size 1½ cups
- Total Fat: 11 g
- Sodium: 596 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 19.5 g
Use brown rice to increase the fiber. You will taste little difference from white rice in a mixed dish.
Substitute broccoli, yellow squash or other vegetables you have on hand.