Source: The Right Bite Cookbook, UT Extension
Makes: 12 servings
- ¼ cup light margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup apple juice concentrate
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons almond flavoring
- 4 packets saccharin-based sweetener, such as Sweet ‘n’ Low®
- 12 ounce pkg. frozen blackberries, thawed
- 12 ounce pkg. frozen raspberries thawed
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2. In a 2-3 quart casserole, melt margarine; set aside.
- 3. Combine flour and baking powder in small bowl. Add apple juice concentrate and water. Mix well. Pour batter over melted margarine.
- 4. In separate bowl combine berries (and berry juice) and almond flavoring. Stir well and spoon over batter.
- 5. Bake for 45 minutes or until browned. Serve warm.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Total Fat: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 70 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Dietary Fiber:
- Protein: 1.6 g
Use fresh berries in season to save money. Any combinations of blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries will work. If you use all blueberries, add a little lemon juice.
Berries are a good source of vitamin C and fiber.